plan of action - october 1, 2018
Kavanaugh and the FBI
Senator Flake (R-AZ) and Senator Coons (D-DE) have shown America that friendship is the way to bring about bipartisan cooperation. The two of them came up with Flake’s decisive, but irenic, stance on Kavanaugh, whereby he would vote the nomination out of committee but would not vote for him in the full senate unless there was an FBI investigation. Good job, guys. BUT the White House has blocked certain avenues of inquiry. The FBI are NOT allowed to investigate:
1. Thank Senator Coons for his cooperation with Flake. And thank Flake if you haven’t already done so.
2. Contact your Senators and ask them to publicly denounce the stranglehold put on the FBI’s investigation by the White House. We need to hear from Swetnick and all witnesses named by the accusers.
3. They’ll never read your message, and wouldn’t care anyway if they did, but contact the White House to denounce their flagrant antipathy to truth-seeking.
Senator Jeff Flake (R-AZ) voted to advance Kavanaugh’s nomination and then stunned the GOP by saying he would oppose Kavanaugh in a full vote unless there was a week-long investigation by the FBI into the accusations against the nominee.
1. Thank Jeff Flake:
2. Catch up on this week’s earlier actions.
September 27th, 2018
The GOP have outdone themselves in unscrupulousness. Contact Grassley to censure his ungentlemanly behavior. Call your senators again and express your outrage. Keep contacting the key undecideds: Joe Manchin (D-WV), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Jeff Flake (R-AZ), Susan Collins (R-ME). It’s clear the pro-Kavanaugh contingent are running scared.
(Light relief: www.thebeaverton.com/2018/09/who-didnt-set-their-gym-on-fire-and-murder-dozens-of-classmates-when-they-were-a-teenager/ )
Kavanaugh & the Mormons
The Mormon Women for Ethical Government have issued a statement, calling upon the four Mormons on the Senate Judiciary Committee to suspend Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearings until the accusations against him have been thoroughly investigated. Trump & Minions are determined to make this about a political firefight, but right-thinking folk, such as these Mormon women, understand that this is about ethical government. Many of the GOP, Trump first and foremost, are willing to throw these women under the bus for the sake of political advantage. Whether or not the Democrats are using this situation to score politically, the women involved seem to be motivated only by a distaste for nominating creeps to the bench. So far, the Mormon senators have not replied to the Mormon women.
Contact the four Mormon senators on the Judiciary Committee and challenge them to respond to the message from Mormon Women for Ethical Government. Challenge them to put their religious and ethical values ahead of their political biases. Of the four, Flake is a swing vote, so if you only have time to contact one, he’s your guy.
Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
Jeff Flake (R-AZ)
Mike Lee (R-UT)
Mike Crapo (R-ID)
Some Good News!
A couple of times recently (Sept. 4 and Sept. 12) we asked our representatives to pass H. Con. Res. 72. This important step towards protecting children passed the House with zero opposition.
If you contacted your MoC asking them to support H. Con.Res. 72, contact them again to say thank you.
The Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled its Kavanaugh vote for Friday, which is one day after Christine Blasey Ford is due to testify. How on earth can they know in advance that they will be ready to take a vote so soon after hearing from this important witness? But key vote Murkowski looks like she may be supportive of Ford and would like to see an FBI investigation into Ford’s allegations.
1. Contact Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Chair of the Judiciary Committee, to complain about his scheduling of the vote.
2. Contact Lisa Murkowski and ask for her to continue being sceptical of Kavanaugh.
The Trump administration has made it harder for parents and guardians to regain custody of the children who were illegally taken from them at the border. Given that the children should never have been taken in the first place, the government has no right to place burdensome qualifications prior to restoration of custody. One of the requirements is that all adults in the house should submit to fingerprinting, information which is then shared with ICE, who in turn have arrested some of the adults.
1. Contact the Office of Refugee Resettlement and ask them to stop sharing information with ICE.
2. Not that they care, contact The White House to complain about the additional hurdles imposed on guardians attempting to regain custody of abducted children.
3. Donate to one of these organizations helping migrant families and children.
At least one more woman has come forward with credible accusations of sexual assault perpetrated by Brett Kavanaugh:
1. Don’t let them get away with pushing the nomination through! Call your Senators if they are YES or UNDECIDED and demand that they refuse to continue the nomination hearings until a full investigation has taken place into the accusations against Kavanaugh. We already have one lecher/liar on the Supreme Court (that we know of) and do not want another.
2. If both your Senators intend to vote NO on Kavanaugh, contact one or more of the Undecideds: Doug Jones (D-AL), Joe Donnelly (D-IN), Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND), Joe Manchin (D-WV), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Jeff Flake (R-AZ), Susan Collins (R-ME).
3. Claire McCaskill (D-MO) has gone from being an Undecided to a NO vote. Thank her.
Saturday - Catch-Up Day!