Trump to Speak at NRA Convention
It’s not only Pence who’s going to speak at the NRA Convention - TRUMP IS ALSO GOING TO SPEAK. Funnily enough, while Trump and Pence are speaking, no guns will be allowed at the Convention.
1. Look and see whether your reps received funding from the NRA. If they did, contact them and ask them to return the money.
2. Tweet to the White House to say how horrible Trump’s appearance at the Convention is. Because literally no one ever reads the emails you send. If you don’t have Twitter, try an email anyway.
Donate to Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America an organization which is committed to bringing about common-sense gun safety legislation in every state and at the Federal level. They have already achieved many significant victories, which you can read about here.
Protect Mueller Bill Passes Committee
The Senate Judiciary Committee has passed the bill to protect Mueller, with four Republicans joining the Democrats on the committee in voting to send the bill forward for a vote in the full Senate. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has said he won’t allow the bill to be brought to the floor for a vote.
1. Contact your own Senators and ask them to demand that McConnell bring the Special Counsel Independence and Integrity Act to the floor of the Senate for a vote.
2. Cornyn has suggested as an alternative that the Senate pass a non-binding resolution calling on Trump to not fire Mueller. Ask your Senators to introduce such a resolution if McConnell continues to obstruct passage of the bill.
3. Contact Mitch McConnell to protest his refusal to bring the bill to the floor of the Senate.
Sunday. A good day to look at jellyfish. But then what day isn't a good day to look at jellyfish?
Ryan Kicks Out Priest
Paul Ryan has some lame excuses for why he has forced the House Chaplain, Rev. Patrick Conroy, S.J., to resign. They are likely all bogus, and the real reason seems to be that Fr. Conroy sticks up for poor people.
Democrats tried to get a resolution to appoint a committee to look into Ryan’s action, but the Republicans voted to table the resolution. Not all the Republicans are happy with Ryan, and two crossed the aisle to vote with Dems against tabling the resolution.
This is the FIRST TIME a chaplain has ever been removed during his term. Everyone in the House is confused and angry about it. Ryan is refusing to discuss the matter.
1. Contact Paul Ryan to condemn his action. If you happen to be Catholic, you can slap him even harder if you want. https://www.speaker.gov/contact
2. Thank the Republicans who voted with Democrats against tabling the resolution to look into the matter.
3. Contact your own MoC to express your disapproval of Ryan’s behavior and to demand an investigation.
Pence and the NRA
V-P Mike Pence is scheduled to speak at the May 4 NRA Convention in Dallas. This overt support for an organization which is committed to opposing any and every effort at gun safety legislation is offensive and callous in light of the number of recent gun deaths.
1. Sign the MoveOn.org petition demanding that Pence cancel his appearance at the NRA convention:
2. Contact The White House to protest Pence’s appearance at the Convention.
202-456-1111 or http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/
(Note: navigating to the White House contact page has gotten harder; moreover there used to be an option to contact the V-P - no longer. They’re a bad lot. If you want to feel nauseous, just go check out the White House site.)
Racist Golf Club
In an apparently racially-motivated incident, five Black women were harassed while playing golf at a club in Pennsylvania. The owner subsequently called the police to throw the women off the course. The club has since offered an apology, but this incident should never have happened in the first place.
Email Grandview Golf Course to tell them what you think:
DeVos Rescinds Guidelines
The Education Department has rescinded 72 documents which outline the rights of students with disabilities. These documents play an important role in clarifying the rights of students under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and the Rehabilitation Act. The law remains in force, but the ability of parents, educators, and students to understand and apply the law has been undermined. If you’ve ever tried to read a piece of undigested legislation, you know how difficult and confusing it is.
Call Betsy DeVos’s office to express your disapproval of the Education Department’s removal of these documents: (202) 401-3000.
No to Pompeo
The nomination of Trump’s pick for Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, has passed through Committee and will shortly be voted on by the full Senate.
Mike Pompeo is a bad candidate because:
Call your Senators and ask them to oppose Pompeo for Secretary of State as he is a dangerous, bigoted war-monger who opposes civil liberties and who will support Trump’s worst impulses.
Mueller Firing Rapid Response
In the event that Mueller or Rosenstein is fired, MoveOn.org is preparing to hold emergency rapid response rallies across the country. If triggering actions (eg firing Mueller) occur before 2 pm local time, rallies will take place at 5 pm; if triggering actions occur after 2 pm local time, rallies will take place at noon the following day.
1. Find out the closest rally to you by entering your zip code on this rapid response events search page. RSVP to attend and to receive updates. You may have already signed up, but since then new events may have been added which are closer to your location.
2. When you find your local event page, share it with your nearest and dearest. E.g. here is the page to sign up for the Washington, DC rapid response rally. And/or share the events search page on social media.