Dick’s Shows the Way
Dick’s Sporting Goods has announced that it will no longer sell assault-style semi-automatic weapons. Bass Pro Shops (which now owns Cabela) is the only major retailer still selling semi-automatic weapons.
1. Contact Dick’s Sporting Goods to thank them for their new policy. This web page has phone, email, and address contact information: http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/dicks-sporting-goods/.
2. Contact Bass Pro Shops at 1 (800) 227-7776, where a nice customer service person will take your message and “be happy to pass it along.”
SOME PEOPLE have suggested that it would be a good idea to arm teachers. All right-thinking individuals (especially teachers) know that this would be a recipe for chaos and disaster.
Now that you’ve figured out who your local school Superintendent is (see yesterday’s Action), WRITE a postcard to them stating your categorical opposition to the idea of teachers being armed in the classroom. Demand that the school district strenuously oppose any such measures.
Stand with the Parkland Students
Emma Gonzalez, Cameron Kasky, and Jaclyn Corin aren’t taking shit from anyone, least of all the NRA. Traumatized by the events at their school and disgusted at the inaction on the part of the institutions that should be protecting them, these three students and their friends are standing up and speaking truth to power. In so doing, they have exposed themselves to threats, insults, and ridicule. However, thanks to their leadership, a huge groundswell of opinion is, for the first time, gathering enough momentum to bring about real change.
1. Send a card or postcard to Emma, Cameron, and Jaclyn, either separately or together, at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School, 5901 NW Pine Island Road, Parkland, FL 33076. Thank them for all they are doing and assure them of your support.
2. Contact your local Superintendent of Schools, asking for your school district to put all their support behind upcoming student-led protests. (Heads up: you might have to Google creatively to find email or street addresses for your local school district.)
Student Anti-Gun Protests
Some students are being threatened with consequences if they take time from school to attend anti-gun protests:
Contact Curtis Rhodes, Superintendent of the Needville, TX Independent School District (mentioned in the linked article above) and tell him that as a patriotic American, far from punishing students for skipping class in order to attend protests, he ought to be organizing protests himself.
Turn the House Blue
Against all expectation, a Democrat is running neck-and-neck with the GOP candidate in PA’s very conservative 18th Congressional District. His name is Conor Lamb, and he is looking good.
Donate to Conor Lamb’s campaign.
It's Sunday - time for jokes.
Complete any unfinished actions from this past week.
Reps. Debbie Dingell (D-MI-12) and Daniel M. Donovan, Jr. (R-NY-11) have introduced HR 3207, Zero Tolerance for Domestic Abusers Act, which would make it a crime to sell a firearm to someone convicted of domestic violence and for such a person to own a firearm.
The bill has been referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations.
1. Contact your Member of Congress and try to find out if they plan to support HR 3207. Ask them to co-sponsor this bipartisan act.
2. If your MoC sits on the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations, ask them to vote the bill forward for a vote by the full house.
3. If either of the co-sponsors of the bill is your own MoC, please contact them and thank them.
There is a bill in the Pennsylvania Senate which would restrict people accused of domestic abuse from owning guns.
Contact your Pennsylvania Senator and ask them to support SB 501, Enhancing Safety For All Parties Involved In Protection From Abuse (PFA) Orders/Convictions of Misdemeanor Crimes of Domestic Violence.
Action for Everyone Else:
Check out to see how much your legislators received from the NRA in the 2016 election cycle: https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/recips.php?id=D000000082&type=P&cycle=2016&sort=N&state=
Contact your Senators and MoC and ask them to return any NRA contributions they have received.
The Dear Leader used to have a “Contact Us” button displayed prominently on the White House site. Shortly after the election, this Contact button shrunk to being very tiny and hard to find. Now - guess what - there is NO Contact button on the White House home page. The contact page is still there, but you have to hunt for it.
Contact the White House to complain.
Help March for Our Lives succeed by making a donation here:
National School Walkout
In the wake of last week’s school shooting in Florida, Women’s March Youth Empower is organizing National School Walkout, calling upon students, parents, teachers, administrators, staff, and allies to walk out of school at 10 a.m. on March 14 for 17 minutes (in honor of the 17 victims) in protest at the government’s inaction to protect our children from gun violence.
1. You can find out if there’s a local National School Walkout event in your area, receive more details, or sign up to host an event at: http://www.actionnetwork.org/event_campaigns/enough-national-school-walkout
2. Mark March 14 on your calendar and attend your local National School Walkout event.